Anxiety plagues many of us. Did you know about 18% of all Americans suffer from an anxiety disorder? Anxiety disorders can develop from a set of certain risk factors including brain chemistry, genetics, personality and life events. Living with anxiety can feel like not living at all. The good news is there are ways to manage anxiety and greatly reduce anxiety symptoms.
It can be difficult finding treatment for anxiety that actually works. Often times, doctors treat anxiety symptoms by prescribing medication. While sometimes effective, these drugs often exasperate the problem, not to mention, have harsh, unwanted side effects. However, natural anxiety treatments are safe, effective and often a better option for anxiety sufferers looking to manage their symptoms.
Natural anxiety treatment options
Being prescribed medication can be scary and expensive. You wonder how your body will react to the drugs, how long you will be on them, and will they even work? Perhaps, you have been on one of these drugs for some time and start to feel there must be another way. Fortunately, there ARE things that you can do to naturally treat your anxiety symptoms.
- Diet: Changing the foods we eat can often help with anxiety symptoms. Certain foods such as sweet potatoes, true whole grains, blueberries, dark chocolate and almonds can all help manage your stress levels and help give you a feeling of calm. Consider cutting out processed foods and eating plenty of healthy fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
- Exercise: Exercising for 30 minutes a day can make a huge difference in your anxiety levels, producing hormones that will boost your feelings of well-being. Try walking outside for 30 minutes at least three times a week, exercising outside can increase the effectiveness that exercise can have.
- Sleep: Make sure you are getting enough sleep; each person’s needs are different. Try moving your bed time forward until you feel you have enough energy through the day. Vitamins such as magnesium and melatonin can help improve your sleep patterns. Once you have established how many hours of sleep you need each night, stick to a schedule.
- Natural Medications: Traditional prescription medication can cause side effects such as dizziness, sleeplessness, drowsiness or increase other medical issues you may have. They are also addictive and once you are ready to come off them can make you feel worse than when you first went on them. There are many natural anxiety treatment options out there. Certain herbs, vitamins and minerals can help improve your anxiety symptoms. Herbs such as ashwagandha and passion flower are well known antioxidants that help reduce symptoms.
- Therapy: Cognitive behavioral therapy is an effective form of psychological treatments available. Speaking with a professional will help you understand the causal relationship between your thoughts and your anxiety behaviors. Identifying certain behaviors and thoughts that lead to anxiety can teach you how to manage them and greatly reduce the intensity of your anxiety symptoms.
Natural anxiety treatment can help you feel calm and relaxed and give you the ability to deal with the feelings of anxiety without worrying about your symptoms increasing or other health issues arising from unnecessary side effects. Try using these natural anti anxiety remedies to help relieve anxiety. Start off slow and add one thing at a time so you are not feeling overwhelmed with all the changes. Diet and exercise are a wonderful place to start as you can feel the effects almost right away. Find the right methods that work for you and consider adding them in to your daily routine.